Saturday, 11 March 2017

World Book Day Celebration At Home!



Hi All

As an English teacher, World Book Day is super important to me. It's a time where the importance of books is really celebrated and in a world that is dominated by the internet and technology, the pleasure of picking up an actual book and losing ourselves in imaginary worlds seems even more important to encourage.

My work situation this year is a little different and so I was lucky enough to have the day off work with my little girl. I decided we would stay in and enjoy some 'book related' activities! I thought I'd share a bit of what we got up to. I'd love to see what you did to celebrate!

Our morning started with some dressing up time. We've suddenly accumulated a number of Princess dresses since Christmas and this was an ideal time for a bit of dress up time followed by the reading of the traditional fairytale stories. It was lovely to spend some time watching her become each different character and then she was glued to the original stories. We had some precious moments as we cuddled together reading. I love it when she questions the story or gets excited about what is happening. She is definitely going to be a bookworm like me I think!

Image may contain: 6 people, people standing and child

We then decided to do some painting....yes, I was a brave Mummy and got the paint out! After a bit of general painting and stamping, we decided to make a hungry caterpillar model. This is one of her favourite stories and mine. She did really well painting the colours in the right place of the egg box! I was very impressed....her skills have definitely come on since we last had the paints out. However, it took a crazy amount of time to dry!! (We had to finish it the day after and I still need to take a picture of the final caterpillar!) We then had fun with a bit of bubble wrap painting. I attempted some Gruffalo shapes but they didn't quite work but we had fun having a go anyway!





Finally, we spent most of the afternoon reading a huge pile of books that she had chosen in the morning! It was so lovely to sit and read together. She obviously isn't able to read just yet but she has been 'reading' to us using the pictures, and her memory, for quite a while now. So we took it in turns to read to each other, do silly voices and just get lost in the joy of books before it was time for tea, bath and bed!



Hope you have enjoyed seeing what we got up to. Did your little ones dress up for pre-school, school? Did you go to any special events? Would also love to know some of your favourite books for children!

Thanks for popping by!
xx

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a perfect day! I absolutely love that she dressed up as each character and then read the book wearing the costume - what a great way to get her engaged in each story! I really miss having a young child in the house to do things like this with... I try to read with LO but she hasn't inherited my love of books.
    Fab post, thanks for sharing.
    Lucie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over and visiting my little blog hun. We had a lot of fun....I'm trying to make the most of her enthusiasm whilst I can....she's a teenager already in some respects lol xx

      Delete
  2. Your daughter is so adorable :-) It looked like such a fun day :-) I don't think we have a world book day here. (I can not say for sure, but I have never heard of it.) I just bought a book for my son called "How much I love you" About a little rabbit and his father. It was the first time reading it today and it was so sweet xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww we have that book somewhere too. Really cute. Thanks hun, she can be when she wants to be lol xx

      Delete